Saturday, December 11, 2010

Prompt 10: Wisdom

What was the wisest decision you made this year, and how did it play out?


I would have to say that the wisest decision I made this year was to buy a house.  Specifically, to have enough trust in myself, Andrew, and our ability to afford and find the right house that I was willing to even start looking.


I am the type of person who really likes to be in control, which means that it's hard for me to go into new situations that I don't know much about, which is exactly what buying a house felt like for me.  Even the idea of buying a house used to totally freak me out because it was such a huge decision, it was a fairly permanent decision, and it involved a ton of money.


It helped a ton that we had a family friend as our realtor because we could be completely honest with him about what we were looking for and what we thought about the houses we were looking at.  He made me so much more comfortable with the process.  


It also helped that I could be in control of the house search to a point.  I could find houses that we were interested in and ask the realtor to take us to see them.  Being able to be really involved in that part of the process helped me to feel like the house buying process was something I could handle.  


But the main thing helped was knowing that Andrew and I were in this process together.  He really helps me to see things differently.  So when I was seeing the risks of buying a house, he was seeing the rewards.


As for how it played out, the process was a lot longer one than I thought it would be. We bid on four different houses before we finally found one that worked out.  I am so glad with the way things worked out though because we are definitely in the right house for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE reading your comments!