Monday, January 16, 2012

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Source
This quote always reminds me of the Langston Hughes poem "Mother to Son"


Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor --
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now --
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

So whether you can only see the first step or if you've already made it to the top of the staircase, but have had some problems along the way, keep the faith and keep going.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gretchen!
    Thank you so much for following along on my Indian Adventure - it really means so much to me to have such wonderful readers. Though your # didn't come up for a postcard I would still LOVE to send you one :) Can you please email me (hellokisha(at)gmail.com) asap with your address so I can send one to you? It's the very very least I could do and I'm more than happy to do it!

    Hope your 2012 is off to a great start!

    xo
    k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this thought. I read it last week when you posted it, but really needed it today again. Love ya, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments!