Thursday, August 11, 2011

Structure

Another school year starts next week and I'm getting more excited about it as it gets closer.  The thing I like about the start of another school year is the structure it brings, especially after the summer which usually has almost no structure to it.

I am definitely one of those people who works well with structure.  When a teacher used to assign a project in school, I was the student who wanted to know exactly what they were looking for and how much time I would have to complete it.  If they had a rubric that was broken down into the parts of the project so that I could check them off as I finished them that was even better.

Image from here
This trait has followed me into my adult life.  I get more accomplished when my time is structured and I have a list of the things I need to accomplish that I can check off as I go.  (My new favorite thing is listing them in a word document and then using strikethrough to show when I finish them.  There's something much more satisfying about seeing the entire sentence with a line through it than simply seeing a little check mark in a box.)  So even though I may not be looking forward to all of the things that come with starting another school year at least I know the structure (and all that I will accomplish because of it) is something to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE reading your comments!