Saturday, August 20, 2011

Recipe: Applesauce

And here's my recipe.


Applesauce

This makes enough for 4 people. If you would like to freeze or can, use more apples. 

--4 large apples, skinned ,cored, and cut in quarters
 
--juice from 1 lemon
 
--1/2 tsp cinnamon
 
--1 tsp vanilla
 
--1 T brown sugar
 
--1/4 cup H20
 

Skin, core, and cut your apples into quarters.
 Plop the pieces into your crockpot. Add the juice from the lemon, and the water. Pour in the vanilla (I used imitation--we were out of the good stuff), and add the cinnamon and brown sugar. 

Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. When the apples are super tender, mash with a potato masher or large fork. My apples were very tender after 6 hours, and I used a fork.
 


Substitutions/Changes:
~I wanted to make more applesauce so I used 10 apples and doubled everything else.
~I also used my immersion blender to make it into applesauce, which was so easy.


5/5 stars


I LOVE homemade applesauce.  My mom used to make a whole bunch and then freeze it, which is why I was so excited to make this recipe.  I used 10 apples and doubled everything else, which was enough to fill the entire crock pot and then it cooked down to about a half of a 6 quart crock pot of applesauce.  I used my handy, dandy immersion blender to make it into applesauce.  It was so easy because I could do it while it was still hot and in the crock pot.


The flavor of this was really good!  It's so much better than store bought applesauce.  The only thing I would change would be to not double the water because it did end up a little watery, but I will definitely be making this again and then freezing it, though it's so easy to make that I could just whip up a batch if I want some.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE reading your comments!