Saturday, August 20, 2011

Recipe: Beef Stroganoff

It's week 2 of the crock pot challenge!  Here's Laura's recipe for the week!

Beef Stroganoff

Ingredients:
1 lb beef sirloin cubes, raw
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced or (or equal amount of garlic powder)
1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
2 tsp Worstershire sauce
1/2 of 4 oz can sliced mushrooms, drained
8 oz sour cream

Combine all ingredients except sour cream in crock pot.  Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.  Stir in sour cream until well blended.  Serve over rice or noodles.
Substitutions/Changes: 
~stew meat for beef sirloin
~4 oz mushrooms instead of 2 oz

3/5 stars

I need to try this again because, while good, I think it needs quite a few tweaks. First, and perhaps unfairly, I think parts of the recipe should be doubled. There are certain things I love to have leftovers of, and beef stroganoff is most definitely one of them. This recipe only made about 4 servings, so there's not much left over. Here's what I would do: double the soup and seasonings and quadruple the mushrooms (if you're into "funge," as we call it in my household). Absolutely do NOT double the sour cream. Cook's instinct told me 8 oz was waaaaay too much, so I didn't put exactly that amount in, but it was still WAY too sour-creamy, and the sour cream flavor drowned all the other flavors. I'm used to my mom just putting an unmeasured glob into her recipe, so I'd probably only use 4 oz next time if I weren't going to make a double batch. Also, as I've become quite a fan of funge lately, I'd recommend putting in the whole 4-oz can of mushrooms in a single batch and 2 cans in a double batch. As to the meat, right, like I can afford sirloin. I wasn't crazy about the texture of the stew meat, and I'd only use half a pound for a single batch and the whole pound for a double, but as I do 98% of my shopping at Aldi, stew meat was the most convenient. All in all, probably a great recipe. Just needs heavy tweaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE reading your comments!