Monday, August 2, 2010

Book review: P.S. I Love You

Sometimes instead of simply finishing the book I'm reading, I end up starting a new one and then coming back to the one (or two or three or four or five...) I was already reading.  That's exactly what I've been doing lately.  I'm in the middle of:
  • trying to finish reading the entire Bible in a year 
    • So far I've read Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth,1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles, Job, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Isaiah, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews, 1 Peter, 2 Peter, 1 John, 2 John, and 3 John.  
    • Whew!  That's 39 of the 66 books of the Bible, which means I'm more than halfway!!!
  • The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun
    • I really like this book, but I've been reading it slowly to savor it:)
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    • I have to say that I'm not entirely sure about this one.  I like the concept of adding the zombies to get people who would not normally read Jane Austen interested, but I'm having a heard time reading the book because I already know the entire plot of the original.
  • For Better: The Science of a Good Marriage
    •  I had to return to the library but am going to check out again to finish because it was really interesting
  • Word Freak: Heartbreak, Triumph, Genius and Obsession in the World of Competitive Scrabble Players
    • I started this book while we were on our honeymoon, and it's really interesting.  I had no idea how crazy competitive Scrabble could be.

    So while I was in the middle of all of those books, I started reading P.S. I Love You and read it start to finish in about four days.  I thought it was an interesting idea because the book tells the story of Holly and her husband Gerry, who dies of a brain tumor before the book starts.  Even though he died, Gerry is still in the book through the letters he wrote Holly before he died telling her what he wanted her to do to continue living her life even though he's not there with her.  I really thought it was going to have a predictable ending where she ended up in a relationship with her friend Daniel who helps her through the grieving process, but she didn't!  I won't give away the ending, but I would recommend it if you're looking for a fun, fast read.  And now that I've read the book, I get to watch the movie!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    I LOVE reading your comments!