Monday, July 4, 2011

Thoughts on holidays

I am someone who loves holidays!  I love the traditions and the decorations and the celebrations as much as, if not more, than the next person.  But sometimes that love backfires on me.  

Let me explain.  Holidays are times when you are expected to have fabulous plans that live up to the expectations that surround whatever that holiday is.  For New Year's Eve you're supposed to have fabulous plans that will help you celebrate all that this year has been and ring in the new year.  For St. Patrick's Day you're supposed to have fabulous plans to go drinking with all of your friends for no reason other than the fact that it's St. Patrick's Day.  For the 4th of July, you're supposed to have fabulous plans to cookout with your family and friends and watch fireworks to celebrate our country and the sacrifices that people have made for it.  

So what happens when you don't have fabulous plans for whatever holiday it is?  You feel as thought you've failed at that holiday.  You've somehow managed not to fully embrace whatever the holiday is because you haven't drank champagne or green beer or watched a parade or whatever it is you were expected to do.  And that's crazy.  Because your holiday celebration is still a celebration no matter what it involves.  So this year, I'm giving myself permission to celebrate the holidays the way I feel like celebrating them.  And if that ends up not living up to expectations and being a quiet holiday at home, I'm going to be happy with that because I'm still celebrating the things that are important to me and that's what the holidays are all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE reading your comments!