This year we're going back to block scheduling. We did block scheduling a few years ago then did a traditional meet every day schedule and now we're back to block. I was really resistant to going back to block because I don't think my students do well with it. Many of my students have really inconsistent home lives so I feel like the more consistency we can give them at school the better. But as hard as I fought against going back to block, I have to admit that I'm loving the extra day to plan between classes!!! (I'm just not telling anyone at school because I know I'll be hearing an "I told you so" if I do!)
Not only do the students need consistency, I need it! I've really been trying hard to get into a routine this year. It makes me feel less stressed because I know I have the things I need to get done done before going to bed/going to work. Here are the routines I've been working at establishing.
- Making my lunch for the next day at night.
- Getting the coffee pot ready to go so all I have to do in the morning is flip it on.
- Cleaning up the kitchen at night.
- Picking out my clothes for the next day at night. This has saved me so much time, especially because I normally get up before Andrew. This way I'm not scrounging around in the dark trying to find what I want to wear because I have the bad habit of leaving my clothes on the floor of our bedroom... Whoops!
- Packing my gym bag if I plan on going after work. It's much easier for me to go if I don't have to come home first.
- Heading to bed around 11. Even though I don't actually go to sleep until around midnight, being in bed and reading helps me relax and get ready to go to sleep.