Friday, May 20, 2011

A mother's love (a little late for mother's day)

I've been watching Oprah as she remembers some of the most meaningful guests she's had on her show.  One story that really resonated with me was that of Erin Kramp.  Oprah's website explains the story:
Erin knew she was dying, and after realizing that her 6-year-old daughter, Peyton, would have to grow up without her, she began recording hours and hours of motherly advice. The videotapes covered everything from how to choose makeup ("Try to find makeup that looks natural, like you're not wearing any") to how to choose a husband ("Pick a very nice guy who has a backbone"). In the midst of grueling treatments, Erin also found the strength to write letters and prepare gifts for Peyton to open every Christmas and birthday after she was gone.
When my mother went through each of her three major surgeries in my life (two open heart surgeries and a hysterectomy), I know that she wrote letters to each of us children to make sure that we knew she loved us if something happened.  I thank God that she is still with us and that we have her here to tell us that instead of having to read it in a letter.  I think that's why I identify with this story so strongly.

When Erin's husband and daughter were on Oprah earlier this week, her husband said that the lesson his life taught him was to "have a sense of urgency about your life.  Live each minute to the fullest.  You don't know how much time you have."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE reading your comments!