Wednesday, November 3, 2010

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

Well not quite yet, but it's getting closer.  And because of that, I've been thinking about the anticipation of Christmas.  I think it's important to remember that Thanksgiving is an important holiday that should not be overlooked in anticipation of Christmas.

We actually had a rule in our family growing up that we weren't allowed to play Christmas music before Thanksgiving because we would play it all year long.  (My dad's the one that made the rule.  He likes Christmas as much as the rest of us, but apparently only after Thanksgiving.)  I do break the rule sometimes, but usually only by a week or so.

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas.  It's my favorite holiday and my favorite time of year.  (And not just because I get a break from school!)  The past few years I've been making more of an effort to establish traditions to go with Thanksgiving as well as Christmas, because that's one of my favorite things about the holidays.  So this year for Thanksgiving we will be:

Image from here.
  • Participating in the Drumstick Dash, which we've done two other times.  It's a 5K that takes place in Broad Ripple and supports Wheeler Mission.
  • Watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
  • Eating turkey, stuffing, and all of the other fabulous foods you only get on Thanksgiving.  Unless you're my sister and I who insist on trying to have a turkey and stuffing for every possible holiday...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE reading your comments!